Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-22-2015, 07:05 AM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
(07-22-2015 05:51 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote:I am still waiting, however, for Herold photos taken other than as a schoolboy and as a prisoner on the monitor that show him to be a lousy dresser.

Sorry I couldn't resist.....

But Davey apparently DID like the "Grunge" look....Here he is standing outside of Willards.....

All joking aside, this article from the August 29, 1865 Evening Star proclaims that Herold was quite the "Dandy" and always dressed very well; i.e. in a "Natty" fashion.....

Betty:

Nice work, but even "the wretched, dirty, slouching figure" is relevant. Quite likely he showed up at Julia's suite looking very much like the photo of him that is so often seen, looking away from the camera with a slightly bemused look, with his bow tie, his vest buttons undone, exposing his white shirt beneath, his not-very-stylish hat and, most importantly, his corduroy jacket, badly worn and frayed. It may even have been worse, if Laurie is right about his having been caught in the rain. In any case, Julia was used to spit and polish Union officers, in resplendent uniforms, with epaulets, braids, brass buttons, etc., and women in stylish dresses, gowns, etc. Herold, who, let us remember, spent most of his time in the outdoors, would thus present a striking contrast to these, which caused her too "remark" his dress, which she felt "savored of discourtesy". It seems to fit pretty well.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - John Fazio - 07-22-2015 07:05 AM