Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-21-2015, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 04:42 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
"Also, to Laurie, according to Wikipedia, 2/3 of the soldiers in the civil war from Maryland, fought for the Union."

Remember the term "divided state?" It divided along the lines of which counties could support slavery and which didn't find it economically feasible because of agrarian conditions. From Baltimore south, the Confederates gained support. The rest of the state supported the Union -- or really didn't think they had a dog in the fight...

Have you also considered that the Union draft had a lot to do with increasing the Maryland participation in the Union army?

You might research and find that a number of Marylanders wanted to stay in the Union, but maintain slavery in 1860. I believe the name of their candidate (who won the state, I think) was John Bell, who ran under the Constitutional Union party.

(07-21-2015 03:54 PM)L Verge Wrote:  "Also, to Laurie, according to Wikipedia, 2/3 of the soldiers in the civil war from Maryland, fought for the Union."

Remember the term "divided state?" It divided along the lines of which counties could support slavery and which didn't find it economically feasible because of agrarian conditions. From Baltimore south, the Confederates gained support. The rest of the state supported the Union -- or really didn't think they had a dog in the fight...

Have you also considered that the Union draft had a lot to do with increasing the Maryland participation in the Union army?

You might research and find that a number of Marylanders wanted to stay in the Union, but maintain slavery in 1860. I believe the name of their candidate (who won the state, I think) was John Bell, who ran under the Constitutional Union party.

Forgot to mention that Bell lost to the Southern Democrat, John Breckinridge, by only about 500 votes - indicating to me that there were still a good amount of Marylanders who supported the Union, just not the Republicans who won through the quirks of the Electoral College.

Notice to other readers: I am going to ignore the fact that John is ignoring the possibilities, conjecture, speculation, etc. flags that I threw up and continuing to cite examples that I feel are negated by the great time span that elapsed before these came to light. Two bull-heads only end up wearing each other out.

He and I will continue to spar with each other, I am quite sure, but I am signing off at present. I am still waiting, however, for Herold photos taken other than as a schoolboy and as a prisoner on the monitor that show him to be a lousy dresser.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - L Verge - 07-21-2015 03:54 PM