Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-21-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
I know that for various reasons--don't know about we. Doster, counsel for Atzerodt, "....Surratt knew Atzerodt, and under the influence of the great promises of a fortune, the prisoner( Atzerodt) consented to furnish the boat and do the ferrying over." From the Sam (Arnold) letter to Booth, "...I am, as you well know, in need. I am, you may say, in rags, whereas today, I ought to be well clothed. I do not feel right stalking about with means, and more from appearances a beggar...." (If "with means" is what he intended to say, was Sam saying that he had been guaranteed big money but it hadn't materialized yet?

Samuel Chester was promised large sums of money to participate in the plot, which he refused. "He told me he had a big speculation on hand and asked me to go in with him....he told me he was speculating in farms in Lower Maryland and Virginia, still telling me that he was sure to coin money....he was in a large conspiracy to capture the heads of the Government....I asked him if that was the speculation he wished me to go into. He said it was....He said there was plenty of money in the affair and if I joined, I would never again want for money.

Dr. Mudd lost a lot of money when he lost his slaves, as did Mary, and so much of their secesh sympathies were motivated by money. The confederacy's success would have meant money in the bank for them with their "property" restored to them. Although John wasn't convicted, he talked about throwing large sums of money around Elmira.

Also, to Laurie, according to Wikipedia, 2/3 of the soldiers in the civil war from Maryland, fought for the Union.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - Pamela - 07-21-2015 03:42 PM