Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-20-2015, 03:39 PM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
(07-19-2015 10:01 AM)Rosieo Wrote:  Maybe there is information on who Mrs. Lincoln traditionally used as messengers?

Rosemary, I have tried to find a name/description of the messenger Mary Lincoln sent to Fords...so far, no luck. IMO John's suggestion of Charles Forbes makes sense to me and would also be my top choice.

Helen Palmes Moss wrote that she was visiting her brother-in-law at Grover's Theatre on April 14th. She said she was there when a messenger from the White House arrived with the decision that the Lincolns would be attending Ford's, not Grover's. She wrote, "The messenger boy returned with a note written by Mrs. Lincoln..." Would Mary Lincoln have sent the same messenger to inform each theater of where the Lincoln party planned to go? I don't know but perhaps she did. Forbes was 30 at that time...possibly appeared boyish to Helen Palmes Moss? Just speculating as I simply do not know. I also don't know how reliable Helen Palmes Moss' recollections are. (If Tom Bogar sees this thread he may know.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - RJNorton - 07-20-2015 03:39 PM