Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-18-2015, 07:39 PM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
Thanks, Laurie - being on vacation I haven't yet made it to read the article.

Gene, thanks for the reference to E. L.Baker - I'll check her letters to him when upon returning to my Turner copy in a week.

However, that Lincoln was holding her hand when the fatal shot was fired as well as his last words being "She won't think anything about it" etc. which Dr. Henry reported in a letter to his wife on April 19, 1865 all refers to the love of her husband to her and her memories thereof rather than to her desire to recall or investigate any details of the plot itself and the actual assassins (despite suspecting that "that miserable inebriate Johnson had cognizance of my husband’s death"). I'm sorry, but I don't think "Mrs. Lincoln would have responded to Mrs. Grant....She would have found Mrs. Grant's question about whether she, Mrs. Lincoln, sent a messenger to be quite interesting...A nice letter six or so months after the event maybe would have been okay." If there are any letters indicating this interest or that Mary would have welcomed such a written request by Julia Grant this is new to me, and I'd love to learn and read!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - Eva Elisabeth - 07-18-2015 07:39 PM