Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-17-2015, 07:50 PM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
Pardon me for saying this, but you are really hooked on Weichmann! Are you planning a biography on him?

I am not anti-Weichmann (and I doubt that few of his detractors are). I said from the beginning that I think he practiced the first law of nature - self-preservation. I doubt that Weichmann ever thought that his testimony would actually set a precedence for the government to hang a woman. In that, he and John Surratt were alike - they both got outfoxed by the U.S. government.

Likewise, I am not pro-Surratt. I think that Surratt dropped out of Booth's plans, was sent north on Confederate business, and then listened to advice to stay in hiding because his mother was being used as a decoy to get to him. I think Stanton and Holt would have hanged both of them if he returned.

We will never know for certain how much of Louis's complaints was based on true events or a bad case of nerves after 1867. However, he did seem to do well for himself afterwards - first with the support of Stanton and Holt and then with establishing his own business.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - L Verge - 07-17-2015 07:50 PM