Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
07-17-2015, 04:02 PM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
Somewhere in this thread several weeks ago, we were getting into a heated discussion as to the "humanity" of John Surratt. I'm too lazy to try and find the exact postings, but I was reminded of it today while doing some paper shifting on my desk.

I found a copy of a letter that I had pulled from the files several years ago while trying to track down Mrs. Surratt's rosary. The letter was written to James O. Hall in 1975, and pertains to his inquiry regarding papers that Mrs. John Surratt, Jr. may have passed down to family members. The writer of said letter was a granddaughter of John Surratt, and his widow lived with this lady's family until she died. Unfortunately, she knew of no papers being left behind.

She did make a comment to Mr. Hall, however, that is reflective of John Surratt's later years:

"Anna's children - all dead now - may have had them. Anna married a 'Yankee' officer & lived quietly away from the family. Her daughter Clara & my aunt were close so I do have the rosary beads that went to the gallows [we don't think so...] & a couple of pieces of jewelry. But no facts.

"You see we were made to feel that this was a skeleton in the closet - due probably to the emotional strain under which my grandfather labored all his life - and the attitude of the public.

"I've often wished I could somehow portray John, the eager young man, who was fighting for a cause - just as young people of any generation do. He made the mistake of letting Booth (reckless, drank too much, jealous - but not all bad) get him into bad company. The consequences were not considered. The consequences shadowed the rest of his life. His amends were in the form of the loving father & husband. Many people tried to help him and his brood with contributions of money, food, etc."

From what I have learned from later descendants, the John and Mary Victorine Surratt rose above this and became good, middle-class citizens -- but still avoided talking about 1865.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - L Verge - 07-17-2015 04:02 PM