Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
06-23-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
In post # 39, Gene wonderfully worded what I was wondering, too. I, too, would like to see one positive example of John Surratt's humanity. Something like Lincoln's heartfelt letters, caring for stray kittens, etc. Or even JWB's evident love for (at least white) children, and for his mother and sister.

Thanks for your ideas on this, Laurie, but fathering a large family doesn't even prevent some fathers from even abusing them (I don't mean to say J.S. did), i.e. doesn't automatically indicate human qualities like compassion, caring, love, helpfulness, etc. And sometimes even behind the fassade of "well-respected" families grows a lot of weed.

What I personally find the least noble is that he pulled his mother into all the mess and didn't attempt to help/save her. IMO he sacrificed her to save his own life. I find him sort of responsible for her death, and putting the blame on Weichmann makes it IMO worse. O si taccuisses!

However, like Gene, I appreciate, thank for, and try to consider all aspects, opinions, and expert input!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-23-2015 10:16 AM