Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
06-23-2015, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 07:31 AM by Gene C.)
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
Thanks John, a very well thought out and worded reply.
I did read that McMillan served as a ship's doctor on the ship Surratt sailed on from Canada to England, and Surratt was a talkative young man. Over the course of a few days told the doctor of his activities during the war and his involvement in the assassination.

(06-22-2015 10:43 PM)John Fazio Wrote:  All vile in war? Not really. There were noble warriors on both sides, e.g. John Brown Gordon and Oliver Otis Howard.

I think this is one of the many valid points you make here. While there was certainly harsh and cruel behavior on both sides, the book below has short, one to two page stories (many of them from diaries and letters) about many of the victims and the witnesses of the horrors and cruelties of war. What they endured changed their lives forever, but they tried not to succumb to the evil deeds around them. We overlook and forget about these people and their lives.

I haven't read it through, I had it for about a week and I let someone borrow it who has misplaced it, but I am going to buy another copy.
I found the authors comments a little weak some days, his selection of daily stories was pretty good. It helped me appreciate what I have been given, and put difficult times in perspective.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899570...o_pC_S_ttl

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - Gene C - 06-23-2015 07:14 AM