Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
06-20-2015, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 06:30 AM by Gene C.)
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train?
(06-20-2015 11:46 AM)L Verge Wrote:  As for Surratt's claim to having killed Union men, I have never believed that. Even if he said it, I feel that it is braggadocio on his part.

(06-20-2015 09:01 AM)Rick Smith Wrote:  I would take exception with John Fazio's description of John Surratt as a "vile man."

Why was he vile? Because he was working against the Union and Old Abe? For most, I suppose that is all it takes.

I think "vile" is way off the mark.

Rick (and others) - of course, you know that I agree with you as far as considering John Surratt "vile." He supported the Confederate cause, so that naturally made/makes him evil in the eyes of many people now as well as then. I have posted elsewhere on this forum that I have never believed that story about he and Sarah Slater disposing of those poor Union prisoners. I think it was part of young John's braggadocio.

Whether killing (disposing) of a surrendered and unarmed prisoner, or not doing it but bragging that you did, it fits the definition of a "vile" action.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vile
If he would do it again given the opportunity (in my opinion and as I understand the meaning of the word) makes him a "vile" person. In this case it doesn't really matter which side of the war he was on.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an assassin on Grant's train? - Gene C - 06-20-2015 01:09 PM