Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-25-2015, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 03:11 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
"I mentioned the 1980s, because (with no change in evidence) Forbes was never mentioned before and after the 1980s he suddenly was. Do we better understand the events in Ford’s Theatre after 1980, or became it a popular myth after publication of William Hanchett’s “The Lincoln Murder Conspiracies” (1983)?" Kees, above:

Those of you who know me well know that I must step in here with my own comment about Forbes appearing on the scene after 1980 and Bill Hanchett's book (and marking of Forbes's grave). Bill Hanchett is a friend - though now in declining years - and he and James O. Hall were very close friends with Bill flying East a number of times to stay with and do research with Mr. Hall's files.

Bill told me that several of his previous conclusions got dumped after working with Mr. Hall. The main one was Bill's first tendency to place blame on Stanton. (As an aside, Nora Titone was a research assistant for Doris Kearns Goodwin and told me that Ms. Goodwin's anti-Stanton stance changed after visiting with Mr. Hall also.).

The point that I'm trying to make is that perhaps Forbes appears in the spotlight after the more thorough research of James O. Hall and others turned the spotlight on the activities of Forbes that night. This reminds me of the debating juries who keep asking for transcripts so that they can re-read what has transpired in court. They are honestly trying to get to the facts - and that's what historians (professional and amateur) should be doing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - L Verge - 04-25-2015 02:48 PM