Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-24-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
(04-24-2015 11:25 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Mike also points out that Mrs. Lincoln held Forbes responsible,

Laurie, this was totally new to me when I first saw it in AB. Offhand I do not recall seeing that in other books. It's on p. 393 of AB but there is no footnote. I do wonder where Mike got that.

If you have the Kunhardts' Looking For Lincoln, please see p. 89. On August 5, 1865, there is a very nice letter Mary wrote to Forbes. It starts out "My friend Charles." In response to a letter from him she invites Forbes to move to Chicago (where she was living at that time). She says she would be pleased if he would do so. She tells him about "dear little Taddie" and Robert. And she closes the letter "Write soon - Your friend as ever, Mary T. Lincoln."

What I have seen most often in books is Mary's blaming of Parker which was reported by Elizabeth Keckly. From Mrs. Keckly:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Soon after the assassination Parker was the guard assigned to protect Mrs. Lincoln one night. She (Mary) yelled at him, "So you are on guard tonight - on guard in the White House after helping to murder the president." Parker replied, "Pardon me, but I did not help to murder the president... I could never stoop to murder - much less to the murder of so good and great a man as the president." Mrs. Lincoln indicated she didn't believe him. Parker then continued, "I did wrong, I admit, and have bitterly repented... I did not believe any one would try to kill so good a man in such a public place, and the belief made me careless. I was attracted by the play, and did not see the assassin enter the box." Mrs. Lincoln told him she would always believe he was guilty and with a wave of her hand, she motioned for him to leave the room.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - RJNorton - 04-24-2015 02:56 PM