Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-24-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
Quote:IMO history is not “what you think” of the past, but “what happened” in the past. And if it cannot be retrieved, or completely known or understood you have to deal with that. It’s my opinion that the past cannot be fully known and if you fill in the gaps with “possibilities” or "probabilities", or things that “might” be happened, you are presenting history that will defeats itself. History is an academic discipline, not a popular pastime or a form of entertainment.

For me history is the study of the human past as it is described in e.g. written documents. I call that “documentary evidence”, belonging to any evidence in the form of documents.

My sentiments exactly. Thank you for saying it! A lot of people create interesting theories about unknown gaps in history, but in the end theories are just theories, not facts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Jenny - 04-24-2015 12:41 PM