Johnson at odds with Holt & Stanton in June of 1865
02-21-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Johnson at odds with Holt & Stanton in June of 1865
(02-21-2015 06:20 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(02-21-2015 01:11 AM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  Fascinating tidbit. If true,it makes Johnson's subsequent statements about being deceived by Holt about the mercy recommendation by the Commission more untenable.

I agree. If the recommendation for mercy were discussed in a Cabinet meeting how could Johnson deny knowledge of it?

James Harlan, the Secretary of the Interior in 1865, in a letter dated May 23, 1875, remembered a Cabinet meeting just after the conspiracy trial at which clemency for Mary Surratt was discussed. Harlan noted the words of Edwin Stanton to Andrew Johnson:

"Surely not, Mr. President, for if the death penalty should be commuted in so grave a case as the assassination of the head of a great nation, on account of the sex of the criminal, it would amount to an invitation to assassins hereafter to employ women as their instruments, under the belief that if arrested and condemned, they would be punished less severely than men. An act of executive clemency on such a plea would be disapproved by the Government of every civilized nation on earth."

Did they discuss the general idea of clemency/sentence reductions for Mrs. Surratt (and perhaps others) or did they discuss the actual written recommendation for clemency for Mrs. Surratt from the commissioners? This might be a minor difference but I think important. To generally discuss what sentences were recommended and pros and cons is one thing, but to have actually have discussed the written recommendation from the commissioners would definitely show that Johnson lied. He said he never knew of the commissioner's recommendation for clemency prior to the execution.

I agree with Eva. This reported opinion of Stanton is very rationale. Whether or not one agrees with it, it certainly bears consideration. If it was given as such, Johnson would have been wise to have re-stated it when questions arose. Of course, as Gene alluded to, Johnson being wise would have been too much to ask for.

Someone please refresh my memory. Wasn't there someone (on Holt's staff?) who later committed suicide? I seem to remember it has been hypothesized that it was he who actually held the written recommendation back from Johnson and it was his guilt that led him to commit suicide.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Johnson at odds with Holt & Stanton in June of 1865 - STS Lincolnite - 02-21-2015 11:02 AM