Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?"
06-09-2013, 09:40 PM
RE: Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?"
Laurie said, "Now Jefferson Davis has a half-breed granddaughter? I missed something along the line..."

Laurie it hasn't been discussed on this forum, but incase there is one who is curious, I will explain. This information was passed down in the Davis families oral history and known only to them. There is no way to verify it that I know of, so I ask that you receive it as just a story.

Jefferson Davis had three wife's: Sarah, Novella, and Varina. When Sarah Knox Taylor died after only three months of marriage, Jefferson when into a deep depression. He boarded up their home--the Briarfield--and became a recluse. He went to live at his cabin in the woods. There he came across an Indian maiden named Novella. They were married and nine months later, Novella died in childbirth. The baby boy lived. Jefferson named him Finis. Years later when Jefferson wanted to go into politics, he realized that he could not be elected if it were known that he had married an Indian and had an Indian son. Jefferson convinced his son to call him cousin. Many years after Novella died, Jefferson met his third wife, Varina, at the home of his brother, Joseph Davis.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?" - Troy Cowan - 06-09-2013 09:40 PM