A new work on Emilie Todd Helm's visit to Lincoln's White House
01-26-2015, 06:28 AM
RE: A new work on Emilie Todd Helm's visit to Lincoln's White House
(01-25-2015 06:27 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  They did remain estranged. Emilie wrote a letter to President Lincoln on October 30, 1864 and that is the last known communication between Abraham/Mary and Emilie.

I am not 100% certain this is the entire letter, but I think it is at least most of it:

October 30, 1864

Mr. Lincoln

"Upon arriving at Lexington, after my long tedious unproductive and sorrowful visit to you, I found my Mother streched upon a sick bed, made sick by the harrowing and shocking death of your Brother in law, and my half Brother Levi Todd — He died from utter want and destitution as a letter sent to Sister Mary by Kitty gives particulars, another sad victim to the powers of more favored relations– With such a sad, such a dreadful lesson, I again beg and plead attention & consideration to my petition to be permitted to ship my cotton & be allowed a pass to go South to attend to it– My necessities are such that I am compelled to urge it– The last money I have in the world I used to make the unfruitful Appeal to you. You cannot urge that you do not know them for I have told you of them. I have been a quiet citizen and request only the right which humanity and Justice always give to Widows and Orphans. I also would remind you that your Minnie bullets have made us what we are & I feel I have that additional claim upon you–

Did you receive a letter from the Arch Bishop Purcell dated 18th Oct.4 He desired for Kitty an Answer as he would use his influence for you on the 8th of Oct. Will you reply to this– If you think I give way to excess of feeling, I beg you will make some excuse for a woman almost crazed with misfortune–"

Ruth Painter Randall includes part of the letter in her book entitled Mary Lincoln: Biography of a Marriage. The author has some of the words/phrases italicized such as "know them," "the right," and "minnie bullets."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A new work on Emilie Todd Helm's visit to Lincoln's White House - RJNorton - 01-26-2015 06:28 AM