Lewis Powell's skull and Joseph Gawler
01-31-2015, 01:21 PM
RE: Lewis Powell's skull and Joseph Gawler
I cannot answer your question, but since it is about John Clarvoe, I will throw in an extra puzzlement. I have had discussions over the years with members of E. Pliny Bryan's descendants. As some of you know, Pliny was a native of Southern Maryland, born and raised a few miles from Surratt's Tavern, owned the land across from Mt. Vernon that is now the National Colonial Farm, was an ardent Confederate and agent for the cause.

You are also probably familiar with the village of Piscataway, about five miles from Surrattsville and a definite hub of secret Confederate underground activity -- to the point where the Union's Potomac Flotilla and various cavalry units kept it on their list of places to harass. Confederate agent Thomas Harbin's abode was there for awhile.

Cutting to the chase, the Bryan descendants claim that at least one branch of the Clarvoes lived in Piscataway during the Civil War and that Detective Clarvoe may have really been a Confederate agent inserted into the Union movements. I have never taken the time to research this, but would welcome the efforts of someone who might attempt to do so...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell's skull and Joseph Gawler - L Verge - 01-31-2015 01:21 PM