His name was Notley Anderson - not Nodley
12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: His name was Notley Anderson - not Nodley
(12-16-2014 04:28 PM)L Verge Wrote:  An excellent point as to how names and facts get confused or printed in error, and the error keeps on going! Notley was a very popular name during the 19th century, and I know of plantations that were named such. For some reason, I think it has history dating back to England. Another reason to know social and cultural history... Sorry, I'll keep on preaching that, however.

The David Barry that you mention happened to be a good friend of John H. Surratt, Sr. I believe he has ties to both Oxon Hill Hundred and Surrattsville. Both men worked on the construction of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. There is also a slight mention somewhere that Barry's son, Arthur, was Annie Surratt's beau before he went to war. I can't remember if he survived the war.

Laurie,

I seem to remember that David Barry also purchased quite a large quantity of cigars from his friend Surratt at the tavern.

My memory is that young Barry did not come home from the War, but cannot remember the source for that.

Wonder what he would think if he walked into Surrattsville today?

Interesting stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: His name was Notley Anderson - not Nodley - Rick Smith - 12-16-2014 08:53 PM