Trial reporter related to defendant
11-19-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 07:13 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Trial reporter related to defendant
Welcome, Mr. Woodall! You'll find we're a very fun and friendly group who have some wonderful scholarly discussions -

I have in my collection a contemporary newspaper article from the National Republican, dated May 15, 1865.

Was the reporter in question, George Alfred Townsend (pen name GATH?) He was, however, from the New York World . I have reseached in depth one very good reporter, R. F. Boiseau, of the National Republican (a local paper.) He was also at the execution. Two other local reporters were James Croggon of the Washington Star and C. S. Noyes, also of the Star. They, too were at the execution as far as I know.

Was the defendant David Herold? Mary Surratt? They were both from the DC area. It also could be either Sam Arnold or Mike O'Laughlen from Baltimore?

Powell had no family near (he was from Florida) and Spangler had his father as his closest relative (from York, PA)

Is the defendant Dr.Samuel Mudd - also from Maryland?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trial reporter related to defendant - BettyO - 11-19-2014 07:05 AM