Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage
11-09-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage
(11-09-2014 01:25 PM)Jane Singer Wrote:  Go to the Lincoln Papers in the LOC. Upon first glance it seems that Zacharie was indeed "working" for Lincoln in a limited capacity.

Would be interested to see when the letters came to light. If I read correctly they were donated in 1919 but that may not be right.

Yes, some accounts of Zarachie's work are inflated or confabulated but there appears to be some truth here.
Fascinating!!!!!!

Hi Jane. 1919 would be right as that is the year Robert Lincoln deposited the Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress. I think it is pretty much accepted by many historians that Robert may have destroyed some letters, correspondence, etc. that could have reflected poorly on his dad's legacy. If there were letters Zacharie wrote that very clearly related to his espionage on Lincoln's behalf they could have been burned by Robert as he might have considered them "too private" for public viewing. This is just speculation on my part, but I feel it's possible some of Zacharie's letters are "lost." The full extent of his work for Lincoln (if it really existed) may not be known.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage - RJNorton - 11-09-2014 03:29 PM