Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage
11-07-2014, 11:44 PM
RE: Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage
Hi Betty!

So glad to be able to post again. Been so buried with the research and writing of the new book. Ever a fan of spy craft and always looking for new characters to write about I was drawn to the case of William Alvin Lloyd, Lincoln's alleged spy, and the standing precedent his claim inspired. John Stewart and I had been working on another project together and he joined the chase. The writing is mostly mine but without John's amazing research skills and agility with genealogy and timelines, the collaboration (my first ever) was a success.

The reckless, errant life and crimes of William Alvin Lloyd are front and center but just as importantly, I think, is the work we did on Lloyd's claim, his lawyer Enoch Totten. Totten was a bulldog, an opportunist who thrust the Lloyd case before the Supreme Court where it haunts and simmers to this very day.

If you have a Google or a gander at William Alvin Lloyd online, you will see him written about as Lincoln's secret agent throughout the war. The book examines the fraud, a crime, really, against the U.S. government.

Thinking and hoping it will appeal to readers across a wide spectrum as a good portion of it is an in-depth look at how a great fraud was constructed and at the witnesses, lovers and liars who parade through the pages.

I could go on and on ... how are you? Are you working on anything?

Wish I didn't live so far away!!!!!

All best,

Jane
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage - Jane Singer - 11-07-2014 11:44 PM