Musical chairs in the State Box?
09-26-2014, 04:35 PM
RE: Musical chairs in the State Box?
The placement of the settee is critical to me. It has been years since I have gone up to view the boxes, but I have an image in my mind of the settee being a spare few feet behind both Mary's and Clara's chairs, but sort of straddling the two boxes with room for Booth to enter Box 8, walk behind the settee, and have a clear shot at Lincoln, who was bent sideways looking out over the balustrade.

In my mind, Booth would have walked a short, diagonal distance from Door 8 to fire the shot. Rathbone was sitting on the part of the settee farthest from Mary and closer to Clara. Booth would turn to exit the door he came in, but Rathbone was heading towards him. Booth would then slice Rathbone and leap from the balustrade for Box 8.

In going through the restoration book, however, the information is consistently given that Booth entered via Door 7, shot Lincoln, and leaped over the balustrade for Box 7. Of course, the book also says that Booth broke the tibia of his right leg... I'm sooo confused!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Musical chairs in the State Box? - L Verge - 09-26-2014 04:35 PM