The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
At the beginning of this discussion I said I was straddling the issue of Keene's presence in the box. I think I am now leaning more toward her being there.

I came upon this account written by a person named Spencer Bronson. He was present at Ford's that night and wrote a letter to his sister on April 16, 1865. Included in his letter was the following:

"In the mean time Mrs Lincoln came to the front of the box with loud cries & screens know to the horror struck audience that Mr Lincoln had been assassinated Help was called for & men was hoisted up with water & spirits Miss Keene (mostly?) regain her presence of mind & went around into the box holding the President head while an examination was being made Enclosed is one of the handbills of the Theatre that evening."

Since this was written only two days after Booth's shot it would seem to me it is probably pretty good evidence she got into the box (unless I am missing something).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head? - RJNorton - 09-16-2014 11:16 AM