Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
09-03-2014, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 04:32 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
Thanks for your reply and comments, Todd.
(09-02-2014 10:04 PM)brewstt Wrote:  As I mention in my book, the story, while tantalizing, hangs on very little evidence...But a lot of Lincoln lore is supported by equally thin evidence.
This reminds me of what Herndon replied to Lamon when the latter requested about the reliability of the claims Herndon made of Lincoln's illegitimacy: "The evidence is not conclusive, but men have been hung on less." Sadly, IMO.
(09-02-2014 10:04 PM)brewstt Wrote:  Lincoln gave many signs of retreat right up to the night before.
I'm curious and looking forward to learn about these signs as I had always believed that by and at the very time he was to sign the EP he was firm about his decision (as I also believed what Mary once said: "Mr. Lincoln...was a terribly firm man when he set his foot down. None of us, no man or woman, could rule him after he had once fully made up his mind"). Also he had no illusions about the rather symbolic than de facto effect of the EP.
(09-02-2014 10:04 PM)brewstt Wrote:  Also, I discovered that Carpenter can be a suspect source.
I agree, but I had believed Sewards eyewitness account to be quite reliable:
"Mr. Lincoln dipped his pen in the ink, and then, holding it a moment above the sheet, seemed to hesitate. Looking around, he said: 'I never in my life felt more certain that I was doing right, than I do in signing this paper. But I have been receiving calls and shaking hands since nine o'clock this morning, till my arm is stiff and numb. Now this signature is one that will be closely examined, and if they find my hand trembled they will say 'he had some compunctions.' But anyway, it is going to be done.'...The signature proved to be unusually clear, bold, and firm."
(Frederick Seward: "Reminiscences of a War-time Statesman and Diplomat")
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation - Eva Elisabeth - 09-03-2014 04:29 PM