Jefferson Davis and the Conspiracy
07-31-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: Jefferson Davis and the Conspiracy
I do not believe that either Davis or Lincoln, would instigate a plan that was solely intended to kill the other.
However, I cannot exclude either president from being "fair game" for an assassination.
Each of them had able Generals, and Cabinet Members, who were responsible to develop "plans" - to win, and that the plans had to be approved by the President.
Lets compare National Leaders in the wars waged in our lifetime. Hitler, Stalin, etc. (In the South the next name is Lincoln - in the North the next name is Davis.) Would you lament the death of either of the first two?
Davis most likely approved the abduction of Lincoln, never intending for him to die. Obviously, that didn't work. In desperation, the order came down "do what you have to do'. The subordinates then used the Dahlgren papers as a "crutch" to approve the assassination. Don't ask me if the Dahlgren papers were prepared in the North - I don't know. I really don't believe they are sufficient evidence to approve murder.
There is one more question that I have to ask. Did Davis approve any of these desperate moves? I have read that Davis was quite ill in the final days of the war, and Benjamin was running the show. He supposedly conferred with Davis on issues, but maybe not this one.

PS. Are you aware that the South had an agent working in the front office of Baker's Secret Police? (Andrew Norton) He tipped off the South that Dahlgren was Coming. (Baker's 1st D.C. Cavalry were part of the raiding Troop.) The South knew who, what, when, and where, of the raid. The South had sufficient time, and reason, to prepare "Papers". Also,there was another raid earlier that month, the Wistar Raid, that got the same welcome. By the second raid, the South was ready with the "Evidence". Those Cabinet Members were a crafty, desperate crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jefferson Davis and the Conspiracy - SSlater - 07-31-2014 12:59 AM