Jefferson Davis and the Conspiracy
07-31-2014, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 12:38 AM by Gene C.)
RE: Jefferson Davis and the Conspiracy
(07-30-2014 07:58 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  From what I have read, the Dahlgren raid was ordered after AL and his cabinet learned of the treatment of Union pow's being held at Confederate prisons. He was outraged. He wanted them freed from their torment, and it stands to reason that he was prepared to authorize whatever means were necessary to do this. BUT...that does not mean that I am prepared to accept that he personally ordered the murder of JD, any more than I believe that JD would have authorized the assassination of the elected president of the U.S.

AL is the man who wanted to look the other way and let JD and his cabinet slip out of the country after Appomattox.. He insisted in his last days that he would have no part of any military tribunals and hangings of the Confederates..."not even the worst of them," as he put it. Anything is possible, but I do not believe that he personally authorized an assassination attempt on Jefferson Davis.

Do yall honestly believe Dahlgren is stupid enough to carry the orders that he is to assassinate Davis and cabinet and burn Richmond on his person into enemy territory & that a superior officer would also be dumb enough to put it in writing?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jefferson Davis and the Conspiracy - Gene C - 07-31-2014 12:33 AM