Booth's diary and missing pages
07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Booth's diary and missing pages
(07-23-2014 09:10 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 03:06 PM)Cliff Roberts Wrote:  I'm sure I've seen a scan of the revised note, but I can't put my finger on it.

Cliff,

My understanding was that both notes had been lost after the subsequent trials (Conspiracy, John Surratt, Johnson's Impeachment). If you know of a scan of one of the notes, I would very much like to see it.
Dave,

You’re correct about the notes being lost. As far as I can determine, the last time they were seen in public was on May 30, 1867, during the testimony of Thomas T. Eckert before the House Judiciary Committee Hearings on the Impeachment of President Johnson. On that date, Eckert produced the originals of both notes and testified that the only difference in wording between the two was the sum of money. The note found in Booth’s memorandum book mentioned $5.00, and the note delivered to Dr. Stuart mentioned $2.50. Both were written on pages torn from Booth’s memorandum book. The note delivered to Stuart had been rolled up with the money inside and sealed with a pin. It began “Dear Sir” and was signed at the bottom, “STRANGER,” April 24, 1865. On the outside was written, “To Dr. Stewart.” Eckert testified that the note mentioning $5.00 was found folded with other papers in Booth’s diary, and the original of the second note had been obtained from Dr. Stuart by Lt. Baker.

(Incidentally, Eckert testified that Booth’s diary contained photographs and papers, “but what they were I could not now describe.” I wonder if an inventory of the contents of Booth’s memorandum book was ever made? I don’t recall mention of any other “papers” besides the note.)

Sadly, I was mistaken about having seen a scan of one of the Stuart notes.  I went through my entire photo collection and couldn’t find anything.  I must have been thinking of something else, because if I had come across one, I definitely would have downloaded a copy.  At any rate, since they were exhibits at a Congressional hearing, perhaps the originals still exist among the other documents connected with the Impeachment proceedings.  Have no idea where such records are kept.  

I believe the Surratt trial began in June, 1867, but I don't know whether the notes were received as evidence during that proceeding.

Cliff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Booth's diary and missing pages - richard - 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM
RE: Booth's diary and missing pages - Cliff Roberts - 07-24-2014 09:24 PM