Note left for Andrew Johnson
07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
RE: Note left for Andrew Johnson
From Poore, here is Browning's testimony at the conspiracy trial.

WILLIAM A. BROWNING,

a witness called for the prosecution, testified as follows:—

By the JUDGE ADVOCATE:

Q. Will you state if you are the private secretary of the President?
A. Yes, sir: I am.
Q. Were you with him on the 14th of April last?
A. I was.
Q. [Exhibiting a card to the witness.] What knowledge, if any, have you of that card having been sent to him by John Wilkes Booth?
A. Between the hours of four and five o’clock in the afternoon, I left Vice-President Johnson’s room in the Capitol, and went to the Kirkwood House, where I was boarding with him. Upon entering, I went up to the office, as was my custom; and I saw a card in my box. Vice-President Johnson’s box and mine were adjoining: mine was 67, his was 68. In 67 I noticed a card. The clerk of the hotel, Mr. Jones, handed it to me. This I recognize as the card.
Q. Will you read what is on it?
A. “Don’t wish to disturb you. Are you at home? J. Wilkes Booth.” It was in my box.

[The card was offered in evidence without objection.]

Q. You do not know any thing about the handwriting of Booth?
A. No, sir.
Q. You had no acquaintance whatever with J. Wilkes Booth, had you?
A. Yes, sir: I had known him when he playing in Nashville, Tenn. I met him there several times. That was the only acquaintance I had with him.
Q. Did you understand the card as sent to the President, or to yourself?
A. At the time, I attached no importance to it. I had known him in Nashville; and, seeing the card, I made the remark, when it was handed to me by the clerk, “It is from Booth: is he playing here?” I had some idea of going to see him. I thought, perhaps, he might have called upon me, having known me; but, when his name was connected with this affair, I looked upon it differently. It was a very common mistake in the office to put the cards intended for me in the Vice-President’s box; and his would find their way into mine, they being together.

Cross-examined by MR. DOSTER:

Q. Will you state, if you know, at what hour the Vice-President was in his room that day?
A. I cannot do so with accuracy. I really do not know at what hour he was there. He was at the Capitol, I think, for the greater part of the forenoon of that day,—that is my impression,—and was at dinner at five o’clock. I do not think he was out afterwards. I was out myself, and did not return till after this occurrence at the theatre.
Q. Do you know at what time he left his room in the morning?
A. I do not.
Q. You know he returned about five o’clock?
A. He was there at five o’clock; but I cannot state at what hour he returned. He was there at dinner; and we generally dined at about five o’clock.
Q. You say he was in his room for the balance of the evening?
A. Yes, sir: that is my impression.
Q. Were you in his room in the course of the evening?
A. I was there, I think, up to six or seven o’clock; and I was not there afterwards until about eleven o’clock. It was after the assassination that I returned. I was out that evening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Note left for Andrew Johnson - L Verge - 07-17-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Note left for Andrew Johnson - RJNorton - 07-18-2014 08:28 AM
RE: Note left for Andrew Johnson - Gene C - 07-24-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Note left for Andrew Johnson - BettyO - 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Note left for Andrew Johnson - L Verge - 07-24-2014, 08:05 PM