Present at the Assassination - Michigan's Boy Surgeon?
07-12-2014, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 08:00 PM by HeWasThere.)
RE: Present at the Assassination - Michigan's Boy Surgeon?
(07-12-2014 01:05 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 11:05 AM)HeWasThere Wrote:  (is there a 'spell check' feature on this site?)

Welcome, Charles! There is a spell check plugin for the forum but when installed it does not work. If you are using Internet Explorer there is a spell checker that can be downloaded and installed here. It creates an icon at the top of your browser than can be used to check posts. It works fine on my computer.

Thank you, I appreciate the information. Now all I need to do is have one of our children set it up for me and I'm good to go.

(07-12-2014 10:49 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  That is great! Thank you for joining. I hope to make it out to the museum soon- as I live just a few hours away.

Greetings Bill, I hope you do go, it's a very thoughtful exhibit that leaves the viewer with the different viewpoints, today as well as back then, that effected all Americans during that time in our shared history but because it's in Michigan there's more of an emphasis on Michigan's participation, impact and... sacrifice. BTW - What I found interesting about the lay-out is before you enter the Civil War artifact exhibit display hall proper, there's a subtle shadow box on the right - of personal effects (1861-1865) of Arend Van der Veen... and my take on it is he sort of "shows the "face" for the exhibit and will be the first "person" you meet before you enter. This slight touch, in my humble opinion, makes it more intimate-personable-one on one if you will and I found myself carrying that thought as I wandered through the rest of the exhibit hall. In addition, the museum individuals involved in putting the exhibit together even had the forethought of including two (2) detailed placards next to the shadow box; The top one describes what was happening year by year following, during and shortly after the War between the States and the placard below "mirrors/chronicled" the ordinary life, events and eventual 4 year service starting on Sept. 11, 1861 of a then 19 year old "man." All and all, there were many "hands" in the delivery room when the GRPM Thank God For Michigan exhibit was conceived,... it is a very moving experience and definitely worth a look.

"When we started out in '61, they liked to call me the Boy Surgeon," Van der Veen later wrote. "Nowadays, the ones left just call me 'Doc.'"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Present at the Assassination - Michigan's Boy Surgeon? - HeWasThere - 07-12-2014 07:10 PM