Tad Lincoln's music teacher, William Withers jr?
06-26-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: Tad Lincoln's music teacher, William Withers jr?
(06-23-2014 04:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I don't know if Richard Sloan will agree or not, but based on what I have read and heard, I would not put much credence in what Withers said.

John, it's true that Withers made this claim. Withers said, "I taught little Tad Lincoln to play the drum and was always kindly treated by the President."

One place for his statement is in the article titled "A Treasured Coat" here.

However, IMO I would be leery of Withers' statements. In later years Withers stated, "It was mainly on my testimony that the principals in the case were convicted." Withers made a series of embellished or untrue statements including maintaining that Tad Lincoln was in the box with his parents that night.

Regarding the veracity of Withers' statements please see author and forum member Tom Bogar's discussion here. Scroll to 5:40 of the video. Tom discusses Withers' embellished/changing stories.

Like Toia I do not recall having ever read any of this (regarding Withers teaching Tad Lincoln to play the drums) in any books about the Lincolns. I checked the index of Ruth Painter Randall's Lincoln's Sons and there is no mention of Withers. If Tad really ever had contact with Withers I think that excellent author would have included the information.
Well, that's what I feared. It was just that Withers was a local musician of some note (no pun) even before the war. When the 12th New York State Militia arrived in DC, within the first few weeks after Sumter, they came with a regimental band but that band quickly returned to New York City. It was immediately replaced by "Withers' Excelsior Band," made of his brothers and local brass musicians, many who had been on active duty with the Marine Band. The Band of the 12th NYSM played on the lawn of the White House, switching off daily concerts with the most famous bands of the day, not just any mediocre volunteer regimental band. Claudio Grafulla's Band (7th NYSM) and Dodworth's Band (71st NYSM) both from New York City; Joseph Greene's American Brass Band of Providence (1st Rhode Island Detached Militia) and John King's Hartford Cornet Band (1st Connecticut Infantry). So Withers was up there with the best of the best. After the 12th NYSM mustered out in August, 1861 because it was a 3 month militia regiment, Withers Jr. & Sr., brothers enlist as the Band of the 62nd Penn. Infantry for reasons unknown. Probably a good financial offer. All regimental bands were mustered out in the summer of 1862 and Withers seems to disappear for a bit. I don't find anything much until his name appears on the theater circuit, late 1863-64. Then this supposed drum instructor gig at the White House and Withers' Orchestra magically appears playing at the Inaugural Ball 1864. The intriguing thing is, I have a friend who is one of the foremost collectors and authorities on brass band instruments from the 1840s-1870s. Huge collection, very rare horns. He has copies of band music, all authored and/or arranged by "William Withers" or "William Withers Jr." from the band books of the 5th New York Heavy Artillery. Their band was made of privates detailed from the ranks. The HDQTS was at Fort Carroll in DC, then Fort Marshall in Baltimore, also stationed at Harpers Ferry. I have found their Band Leader and it's not Withers. The Band of the 5th New York Heavy Artillery was one of 4 bands to play at the dedication of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg, November 1863. Withers music had to have been played but I have found no reference to named pieces played by the 5th NY Heavy. I have found no evidence Withers tutored the 5th NY Heavy Artillery band but I'm betting he did. That had to be how they got his music. Hired Withers, a local music "professor" and he brought along music arranged for regimental brass band. So, Withers keeps popping up around Lincoln... 12th NYSM band on the White House lawn, 1861, Withers' music probably played by the 5th NY Heavy at Gettysburg, Nov. 1863, Withers Orchestra at Inaugural Ball, 1864, maybe Withers teaching Tad the drum, although, now maybe not, and Ford's Theater.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tad Lincoln's music teacher, William Withers jr? - NHjohn - 06-26-2014 10:39 AM