Tad Lincoln's music teacher, William Withers jr?
06-23-2014, 04:51 AM
RE: Tad Lincoln's music teacher, William Withers jr?
I don't know if Richard Sloan will agree or not, but based on what I have read and heard, I would not put much credence in what Withers said.

John, it's true that Withers made this claim. Withers said, "I taught little Tad Lincoln to play the drum and was always kindly treated by the President."

One place for his statement is in the article titled "A Treasured Coat" here.

However, IMO I would be leery of Withers' statements. In later years Withers stated, "It was mainly on my testimony that the principals in the case were convicted." Withers made a series of embellished or untrue statements including maintaining that Tad Lincoln was in the box with his parents that night.

Regarding the veracity of Withers' statements please see author and forum member Tom Bogar's discussion here. Scroll to 5:40 of the video. Tom discusses Withers' embellished/changing stories.

Like Toia I do not recall having ever read any of this (regarding Withers teaching Tad Lincoln to play the drums) in any books about the Lincolns. I checked the index of Ruth Painter Randall's Lincoln's Sons and there is no mention of Withers. If Tad really ever had contact with Withers I think that excellent author would have included the information.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tad Lincoln's music teacher, William Withers jr? - RJNorton - 06-23-2014 04:51 AM