Lincoln's 1865 Autopsy Report and Death Certificate
05-21-2014, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 03:53 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Lincoln's 1865 Autopsy Report and Death Certificate
(05-21-2014 09:04 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thank you for posting this, Betty. I had only previously seen the text of Dr. Woodward's report and Dr. Curtis' letter to his mother. Dr. Stone's report was new.

And Dr. Stone's report seems to be more detailed than what Dr. Woodward sent to the government. Stone was Lincoln's family physician, whereas Woodward and Curtis were military surgeons who had seen a lot more head wounds and rather curtly made their report. I wonder if Blaine can add to this... I would love to read the rest of Dr. Lattimer's JAMA article from 1965.

Dr. Joseph Janvier Woodward is an interesting figure in the field of Civil War medicine and the doctor who began what is now the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. Surratt House has one of his medical boxes that he used for shipping his instruments and supplies, a donation many years ago from a descendant.

The old school teacher in me was surprised to see that the legendary Ralph Newman of the Abraham Lincoln Bookstore misspelled a word that is so commonly misspelled even today. Instead of "you're" (meaning you are), he wrote "your" in his note that is at the end of the link that Betty found.

Also found this online that is easier to understand: http://www.galenpress.com/extras/extra29.htm It appears that Dr. Barnes is the only one to claim that the bullet was lodged behind the right eye.

This is what I had been searching for previously: http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/linc...edical.htm I knew that Blaine had discussed the Lincoln wound extensively in talks at the Surratt conferences, but I remembered an interview with him that I had read. Finally found it! I'm sure that Blaine also had conversations with the late-Dr. Lattimer, so I hope he will expound on this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's 1865 Autopsy Report and Death Certificate - L Verge - 05-21-2014 03:30 PM