Did Lloyd Lie?
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie?
It would be interesting today to know how much leeway military courts give to civilian defense lawyers... Where's our JAG reps on this forum? While I happen to think that a military tribunal was the right way to go in the trial of the Lincoln conspirators, I have never been able to understand some of the techniques that the court was allowed to use -- I just know that the ability to use these techniques is one of the reasons they chose the tribunal method. I think there's a "bending of the law" factor there.

As for the veracity of John Lloyd, I think the fact that he maintained the same basic testimony through several months is pretty significant to judging his recall. I also wonder if Booth or Herold did mention Johnson, but Lloyd didn't hear it - or it didn't register because the later news only focused on the attacks on Lincoln and Seward.

If I were Booth, I would have every confidence in Powell doing his duty (especially if Herold was with him long enough to see him enter the residence - which I think he was). If Herold was also the point man to check up on Atzerodt, he probably reported what Booth was expecting anyway - Atzerodt chickened out.

One more point on Lloyd, however, he followed the rules of self-preservation -- he copped a plea deal. Mr. Lloyd was guilty of aiding and abetting, but he turned state's evidence to escape those charges. And, he actually got paid (legally) for his testimony. For some reason, the figure $60 sticks in my head... Kauffman may mention this in American Brutus because I remember both he and James O. Hall referencing it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lloyd Lie? - wpbinzel - 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - LincolnMan - 05-02-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - L Verge - 05-02-2014 01:02 PM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - RJNorton - 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - Wesley Harris - 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - wpbinzel - 05-02-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - LincolnToddFan - 05-03-2014, 03:13 AM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - HerbS - 05-03-2014, 08:52 AM
RE: Did Lloyd Lie? - LincolnToddFan - 05-03-2014, 03:20 PM