Joseph Hazleton - First Hand Account of the Assassination
05-04-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: Joseph Hazleton - First Hand Account of the Assassination
(05-04-2014 07:40 PM)Anita Wrote:  While searching for additional Lincoln assassination eye witness voice recordings, I found instead this 30 min. radio broadcast on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehtyO65pVNA. This one is called "You Are There- The Assassination of Lincoln."

I remember watching the TV show "You Are There" with Walter Cronkite in the 1950s.
The "You Are There" radio show you found was actually the pilot for the series, accord. to what I read recently. I had not known that. They did one about the capture of Booth, too. Only the latter became an episode of the TV series. I created a multi-media presentation about Lincoln';s NYC funeral I call "You are there at Lincoln's NYC Funeral." The "You Are There" series was largely my inspiration. Those of us old enough to have watched JFK's funeral on TV felt as tho we were eyewitnesses and were emotionally caught up in it. I attempt to do that in my "show," making the audience feel that they are witnessing Lincoln's as though they were watching it unfold on TV. I simply used all the old photos and woodcuts I could find and transpose the newspaper accts. of the following day into the present tense. It worked. "You Are There" was a great idea, wasn't it? (If anyone has a history group interested in booking me, let me know! I love presenting it, and am always tweaking it. (Do I have to pay you for this plug, Roger?!)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joseph Hazleton - First Hand Account of the Assassination - emma1231 - 05-04-2014 08:38 PM