"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
09-02-2014, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 11:16 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
(09-02-2014 09:40 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 08:53 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I'm not sure - so you think she actually grieved about a brother's death and stated the very opposite for good publicity?

IMO, I think she grieved for her brother, but her loyalties were with Lincoln. As for her statement, I'm not sure if she made it for the publicity, but it was certainly a statement the times demanded. To say nothing would have been worse. No question in my mind that she was loyal to the North, but especially to Mr. Lincoln. Now why she put up with Sumner and she seemed to be good friends with him, I haven't quite figured out, unless she thought she could have some influence on him.

Hi Gene,

Charles Sumner was a bit of a humorless prig, but he was also a highly principled, brilliant, cultured man. He spoke at least four or five languages, was well traveled, hung out with European aristocrats, was well versed in poetry, literature, the classics...in other words he was just the type of guy the socially insecure Mary Todd Lincoln wanted around. She was extremely flattered by his attention and became a kind of Sumner groupie. He was a hard core, unflinching abolitionist and some people believe he is the one who "converted" Mary to the cause. It is through Sumner that Mary met Jacques, Marquis de Chambrun.

Toward the end of Lincoln's life, his relationship with Sumner came under strain because Sumner disapproved of what he felt was AL's leniency toward the leaders of the Confederate rebellion. He also wanted more forceful, progressive Executive action on behalf of the freedmen. But he was by the dying president's side at the Petersen House, holding his hand and weeping profusely.

He was also one of the few people who kept up a friendship with Mary after AL's death, when he had nothing to gain from it. It's almost 100% down to Sumner's relentless battling on her behalf on the floor of the Senate that she was finally awarded a pension in her widowhood. He was a true friend to her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - LincolnToddFan - 09-02-2014 11:15 AM