"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
09-02-2014, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 08:57 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
(09-01-2014 11:59 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Eva E., I know the quote well, almost by heart...."I hope they are all dead...they would hang my husband and me beside him...when they chose against him, they chose against me" or something like that. Mary called her husband and the Union cause "the dearest of all things to us".
In 1862, she said to Elizabeth Keckley: "[Alexander] made his choice long ago...He has been fighting against us; and since he chose to be our deadly enemy, I see no reason why I should bitterly mourn his death." Keckley also told Mary "had no sympathy for the South", quoting her: They would hang my husband tomorrow if it was in their power, and perhaps gibbet me with him. How then can I sympathize with a people at war with me and mine?" (And "for this" she was accused to be a Confederant sympathizer...)
Also as a kid she wanted to help her black nurse Sally aiding runaway slaves.

(09-01-2014 11:59 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Anyway, I think Mary only said those things publically about her brothers for effect. She knew that the newspapers and Washington gossip were openly questioning her loyalty, and accusing her of being a spy.Sad
I'm not sure - so you think she actually grieved about a brother's death and stated the very opposite for good publicity?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 09-02-2014 08:53 AM