"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
09-01-2014, 01:25 PM
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
(09-01-2014 04:53 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 08:25 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Presumably, Mary Todd Lincoln would have responded by mail to Eliza Quincy within a month. Does anyone have access to a copy of such a letter written by Mary Todd Lincoln?

Hi David. I checked Mary Todd Lincoln: Her Life and Letters by Justin G. Turner and Linda Levitt Turner. I could not find a response to Eliza Quincy. So I am guessing she didn't reply (seems less likely IMO) or her letter is lost to history (seems more likely IMO).

From the paragraph that Professor Guelzo wrote regarding the two Emancipation Proclamation celebrations, I thought Mrs. Quincy had attended the mostly black celebration. But based on the actual letter, shown transcribed below, it is obvious that she attended the Music Hall celebration.

Eliza S. Quincy to Mary Todd Lincoln, Friday, January 02, 1863

Celebration of Emancipation Proclamation in Boston

My dear Madam

I enclose the Programme of the celebration of the President's Proclamation at the Boston Music Hall, -- yesterday, -- with M. S. notes of the incidents which occurred, during the performance.

In full confidence of the steadiness of the President's purpose, -- the arrangements were all made several weeks ago. (emphasis added)

But it was not until the vast audience had assembled and the performances had commenced that the news arrived that the Proclamation was actually on the wires of the telegraph.

The reception of this intelligence was worthy of "the Declaration of Emancipation",! -- which must rank in future with that of Independence, -- & the 1st of January 1863, -- with the 4th of July 1776.

It was a sublime moment, -- the thought of the millions upon millions of human beings whose happiness was to be affected & freedom secured by the words of President Lincoln, was almost overwhelming.

To us also the remembrance of many friends who had worked & labored in this cause, for many years, but who had departed without the accomplishing of those hopes, which we had lived to witness was very affecting.

It was a day & an occasion never to be forgotten.-- I wish you & the President could have enjoyed it with us, here.

On our return home we found my father with your welcome packet in his hand.-- For that it his privilege to thank you.-- With our best respects to the President & our best wishes for 1863, -- for him & for yourself

I am very sincerely Yrs
Eliza S. Quincy.

5 Park St Boston
January 2, 1863.

[Note 1 Eliza S. Quincy was the wife of Josiah Quincy.]

Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress. Transcribed and Annotated by the Lincoln Studies Center, Knox College. Galesburg, Illinois.

The mystery remains a mystery. Were the words of Mrs. Florence W. Stanley truthful?

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - David Lockmiller - 09-01-2014 01:25 PM