"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-30-2014, 12:49 PM
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Hi Toia, just to clarify: this was during the 31 months of David's administration till Nov. 1867. One source is Jean Baker's bio, p. 279 paperback ed. (second-to-last page in "Mrs. Widow Lincoln"). Also on p. 323 ("Trial an Confinement") is written: "she had already given this son of hers more than $10,000 in real estate, $6,000 in bonds from her share of Tad's inheritance, $5,000 in cash...for his law library, as well as furniture and jewelry - in all nearly $25,000. Despite that he continually asked for interest-free loans."
The most details, listings, and accounts (letters etc., mostly from the insanity files) I've seen on all her finances, who received what, and the way David and Robert handled all this, and the insanity episode are in Samuel Schreiners "The Trials of Mrs. Lincoln" (I haven't read "Mary Lincoln's Insanity Case" though, but "The Madness of Mary Lincoln"). Did you read Schreiner's book? I'm sure you will LOVE it!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2014 12:49 PM