"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-27-2014, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 10:59 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Toia, RE: "...the author of it opines that Robert did not mourn his father's death", I agree Robert did, but IMO the author opinions Abraham Lincoln didn't mourn his father Thomas' death, and IMO therein is right. The respective passage reads:

"Lincoln’s father, Thomas, seemed incapable of demonstrating any affection toward his son and was emotionally absent from his son’s upbringing. For his part, [Abraham IMO]Lincoln would rarely speak of his father and could not bring himself to mourn his father’s passing. The nature of [Abraham IMO] Lincoln’s experience with his father might offer one possible explanation for his awkward relationship with Robert..."

I found the article interesting as it contained some accounts I hadn't seen before, e.g. that once Robert rushed into Nicolay's room boasting: “Well, I have just had a great row with the President of the United States!”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 08-27-2014 10:59 PM