"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-27-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
(08-27-2014 05:20 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi David. Do you have any additional information on Mrs. Florence W. Stanley? I am curious to find out more about her.

Hi Roger. I am also curious to find out more about her.

All this seems so strange. Why would The Christian Science Monitor print the letter on page one without doing some checking as to the authenticity of her story? [side story - I googled the word "authenticity" to make sure that the spelling was correct and got the following for the use of the word: "the paper should have established the authenticity of the documents before publishing them"] Did the paper obtain some independent assurance that she actually had a close relationship with Robert Lincoln? On the other hand, it was such a good story and a February 12 (Lincoln's birthday anniversary) publication date, which was very soon after the newspaper received her letter, was fast approaching.

And, with so many professional and amateur Lincoln scholars around at that time, somebody must have questioned the authenticity of Mrs. Florence W. Stanley's narration, I presume. Look what happened on this website when I posted Professor Burlingame's text on the subject!

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - David Lockmiller - 08-27-2014 09:20 PM