"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-27-2014, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 04:40 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Yes, thanks David and Roger, for finding and posting these letters!!
(08-26-2014 06:33 PM) LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I remember a letter she wrote to one of her Todd relatives where she laments finding decent household help in Springfield, and says something about how she hopes her husband's death never finds her living outside a slave state. And of course when she and AL visited the Todds in Lexington together, neither of them ever objected at all to the care and attention lavished upon them by the familys' legion of slaves.
Toia, are you sure she really wrote this herself, too? This is, however, also from an interwiew John S. Bradford, a political ally of her husband, gave Jesse W. Weik:
"Some years ago...I invited Mrs. Lincoln to accompany me...in a drive to the country. ...she appeared to be very nervous and more or less wrought up. What had caused her agitation she failed to disclose. We suspected that there had been a collision or disagreement of some kind with her servant, for, just as she settled back in her seat, she exclaimed with a sigh: 'Well, one thing is certain; if Mr. Lincoln should happen to die, his spirit will never find me living outside the boundaries of a slave State.'"

http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/cgi-bin/philo...:1.lincoln
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 08-27-2014 04:35 AM