"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-22-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
(08-22-2014 11:48 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Would it be rude of me to suggest that Mr. Lincoln wasn't taking orders from God or his wife? Since I consider him a prime pragmatist (as I have said before), he was reluctantly following his political instincts.
Thanks, Laurie, that was actually what I've been trying to express when I said I doubt he was merely acting as a will-less puppet on the strings. As I said before, even if he might have believed to act upon God's will, I think it was his own will, too. However, at all and so far I cast doubts on the reliability of the quote, and this was one point to argue why. Also this quote seems strange to me as I do NOT believe Lincoln was hesitant about issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. So said Mary to Herndon: "Mr. Lincoln was mild in his manners, but he was a terribly firm man when he set his foot down. None of us, no man or woman, could rule him after he had once fully made up his mind."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 08-22-2014 05:52 PM