"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-22-2014, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 11:23 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
(08-21-2014 10:54 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  And yes, I do realize it wasn't 100% faithful to history. AL entering fallen Richmond on horseback was especially jarring. But since I am able to sift true history from Hollywood embellishment, my enjoyment of the movie was not affected.

Leslie Stahl is a pretty smart woman. But she introduced the 60 Minutes segment on Spielbergs's "Lincoln" movie with these words: "The film is filled with things about our 16th President that we, who are not Lincoln scholars, did not know."

After seeing Spielberg's "Lincoln" movie, would your granddaugher know that portion of the film showing "AL entering fallen Richmond on horseback" was not true? Of course, you could correct for her the misinformation. But are you intending to make it your life's work with all of the other little girls and little boys in the South who see the free "Lincoln" DVD at school to correct this single misstatement of historical fact? Are there any other major historical blunders within the movie that you intend to correct only for your granddaughter?

And, for your information, since I did not see the movie (only the movie trailers and some small clips on shows such as Bill Moyer's), I was unaware that this scene was in the movie.

(08-22-2014 10:50 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I know, David. I'm afraid you missed my point.

Sorry, I posted my response to your comment before reading the response by Gene C. and your clarifying response to him.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - David Lockmiller - 08-22-2014 11:15 AM