"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-21-2014, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 01:18 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Alright then. We have an obscure third hand quote, given in an interview by someone who never met her over 70 years after the fact, quoted as proof by a couple of Lincoln academics that MTL opposed the signing of the Emancipation. Let's also not overlook her "sharp" inquiry to her exhausted and saintly husband on the morning of the day.

Never mind that the vast compilation of MTL's own letters from 1840 to shortly before her death in 1882 make no mention of any hint of disapproval of the EP, not to mention the memoirs of the mulatto woman who was her closest companion in the White House, Elizabeth Keckly.

BettyO, I was squealing like a fangirl reading about your experience on the set of "Lincoln"....how cool! I like and admire Steven Spielberg very much. I wanted to write him a fan letter telling him how much I enjoyed the film...maybe I'll still do it!

And yes, I do realize it wasn't 100% faithful to history. AL entering fallen Richmond on horseback was especially jarring. But since I am able to sift true history from Hollywood embellishment, my enjoyment of the movie was not affected. The acting, the look of the dark, Victorian sets...all of it was spot on, imo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - LincolnToddFan - 08-21-2014 10:54 PM