"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-21-2014, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 03:29 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Thanks, Betty, for posting this opinion, and for sharing this great experience!!! Wow, how cool!!! I totally second your last passage and statements!

Re: "Great pains was taken with this film in sets, costumes as well as history. Sally Field took great care with her part as did Ms. Reuben. All of the actors did", one gets an impression when watching this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-w4A43wkGU

(08-20-2014 08:09 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Never, at any time or anywhere in over 30 years of reading about Mary Lincoln, have I ever heard that she opposed the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. Elizabeth Keckly's memoirs do mention her pleading with AL to provide money for blankets and food for the contraband shanty camps around the White House. Something tells me that little tidbit did not pass muster to get an honorable mention in Burlingame's tome.
UNBELIEVABLE!!
I can't come up with a 30 years experience and knowledge, but it contradicts everything I've read on her, too.

MB's source for the following passage David quoted:
"On January 1, 1863, after Lincoln spent a sleepless night, his wife, who (according to her eldest son) ‘was very much opposed to the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation,’ inquired ‘in her sharp way, “Well, what do you intend doing?”’ He replied: ‘I am under orders, I cannot do otherwise.’”

...reads as follows:
"Robert Todd Lincoln told this to Mrs. Florence Weston Stanley. Mrs. Florence Weston Stanley to Dwight C. Sturges, [Needham, Massachusetts?], 7 February 1935, Christian Science Monitor , 12 February 1935."

The quote is especially weird with regard to Lincoln's reply which to me implies he himself was opposed to the EP, too, but felt forced to sign it.

So, who was Mrs. Florence Weston Stanley, how reliable is this (being so far the only evidence), and when could she have been told this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 08-21-2014 02:48 PM