"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-21-2014, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 12:59 PM by BettyO.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
Quote:I can't help it, but truth to be told, I didn't and don't expect a Spielberg movie to be 100% accurate. I was indeed surprised about the degree of its accuracy!
Sadly, in this case, I, too, think there was no need to be inaccurate, 100% accuracy wouldn't have harmed any of the movie's dramaturgic effects nor A. Lincoln's image. However, I found DDL outstanding and he nailed it for me as did Sally Field's performance as Mary.

I must say that I've been watching the preceding discussion with interest although I have not chimed in til now.

I was on the set of Lincoln almost daily when it was shot here in Richmond. I knew a lot of the crew from previously working with them and did get to meet Mr. Spielberg (an extremely congenial, likable gentleman - I can understand why his cast and crew love him and love working with him!)

To make a long story short, I met Jason Gordon Levitt , (Robert Lincoln) whose cheery greeting to me each day, "Mornin' Toots!" made my day, and Gloria Reuben who played Mrs. Keckly (a very beautiful and delightful lady) as well as closely observing Sally Field. Unfortunately, I did not get to meet Mr. Day Lewis (one of my favorite actors!)

Great pains was taken with this film in sets, costumes as well as history. Sally Field took great care with her part as did Ms. Reuben. All of the actors did. I now know why Mr. Spielberg is the consummate director and producer. I was equally impressed with what was on screen after having watched the film "in the making."
No detail was left undone. Sure, some historical liberty was taken. , it has to be - no one is alive today to sort out various things which actually took place; especially personal and private interactions between Mr. Lincoln and Mrs. Lincoln. These things were private but were as closely followed on screen and with as much detail and loving care as possible.

My impression is that it was a great film. It gave us a vital resurge in interest in both Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln as well as being great entertainment. It remains one of my favorites.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - BettyO - 08-21-2014 12:56 PM