"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-21-2014, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 08:35 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
I can't help it, but truth to be told, I didn't and don't expect a Spielberg movie to be 100% accurate. I was indeed surprised about the degree of its accuracy!
Sadly, in this case, I, too, think there was no need to be inaccurate, 100% accuracy wouldn't have harmed any of the movie's dramaturgic effects nor A. Lincoln's image. However, I found DDL outstanding and he nailed it for me as did Sally Field's performance as Mary.

Re: "his bizarre, obsessive fixation with denigrating this woman" - I tend to wonder if the reason for his obsession is to find in his own bio...

As for its use for educational purposes - even in the media country USA I can't imagine any movie/docu will replace text(book) work and make it superfluous. Personally I think the value of showing such a movie in lessons is to get to exactly such discussions as we are having here - is it accurate? Why/why not? Give reasons.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - Eva Elisabeth - 08-21-2014 08:24 AM