"Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
08-20-2014, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 10:36 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT
So...Michael Burlingame's sole and primary concern when consulting with Steven Spielberg, Doris Kearns-Goodwin and Tony Kushner on the Lincoln movie was that Mary Todd Lincoln be portrayed accurately...HIS version of "accurate", that is...as a deranged and corrupt witch?? Am I reading this correctly, and do we need further proof of his bizarre, obsessive fixation with denigrating this woman??Huh

It seems that Spielberg and Kushner were more interested in balance AND accuracy on the subject of Lincoln's wife, which is why they very correctly disregarded Burlingame. Perhaps people are as aware as I have become that he is NOT the go-to guy on the subject of Lincoln's wife or Lincoln's marriage.

Sally Field did an absolutely brilliant job in that role. She consulted several excellent and reputable biographies, and she nailed it according to the critics.

Never, at any time or anywhere in over 30 years of reading about Mary Lincoln, have I ever heard that she opposed the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. Elizabeth Keckly's memoirs do mention her pleading with AL to provide money for blankets and food for the contraband shanty camps around the White House. Something tells me that little tidbit did not pass muster to get an honorable mention in Burlingame's tome.

Let Michael Burlingame make his own damn movie if he wants his idea of an "accurate portrayal" of Mary Lincoln to reach the wide screen!Angry

UNBELIEVABLE!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Our One Common Country" author talk in Stratford, CT - LincolnToddFan - 08-20-2014 08:09 PM