St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
01-16-2017, 01:03 PM
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
Harney was captured on the 10th, but I suspect that word did not reach Southern Maryland before the scouting party spotted the Confederates near Newport on the 12th. By the 15th, they were still in the area awaiting orders as to how to proceed (surrender, parole, etc.) when the Yanks found them again and the skirmish occurred. At that point, I wonder if they even knew that Booth had killed the President?

I think Thomas Harbin is one of the key links in understanding the Secret Line in the Northern Neck and in Southern Maryland. That's why he high-tailed it to Europe for awhile. I would love to know if he and Judah Benjamin ever made contact on the continent.

BTW: Tidwell says that the report filed about the spotting of the Confederates on April 12 refers to them heading towards Crookshank's store in Newport. I perked up on that name because it's high on my maternal tree, only spelled Cruikshanks. Most of that line is of Scottish descent. Anyone know the etymology of that name?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - L Verge - 01-16-2017 01:03 PM