Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
04-09-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
This is indeed a a day that changed the American Landscape. General Lee, concerned for his valiant and loyal trops made a decison that spared them from what would have been a defeat that would have bathed the landscape of Appomattox with blood of both sides to acheive not a victory but a continuation of what had become a long and protracted esanguination of young and old. General Lee accepted the humiliation in his surrender as the price to be paid for stopping the killing. General Grant was not the conquering hero in demeaning Gen. Lee but treated him with the repect due an equal. That the soldiers individually knew how divisive this had become and in an effort to honor american solidiers, Gen Joshua Chamberlin needs to be remembered- his action of rendering Honor for Honor as the ANV marched past to furl flags and stack arms is an unprecedented act of courage and provided the ANV with a sense of Dignity for the courage to fight for their beliefs and the manner in which they conducted themselves on the field of honor.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the politicians who governed (both sides) and then developed Reconstruction. This event I am afraid stil haunts us today.

Excuse myramblings , but I have over a lifetime found it possible to recognize in Gen. Grant a sense of honor and great respect for Gen. Lee and his men, as well as the humblness in Gen. Lee in accepting that to save his men the only choice was to leave the field with as much honor as possible.

I am yr,. Ob Svt:

Francis Farrell
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary - Francis Farrell - 04-09-2014 06:20 PM